The TECH 2017 (‘Transforming Education Conference for Humanity’) comference by the UNESCO Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development (MGIEP).
December 16-18, 2017 | Visakhapatnam, India
The Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development (MGIEP) is an integral part of UNESCO and focuses on education for peace, sustainable development and global citizenship to foster peaceful and sustainable societies.
UNESCO MGIEP’s international edtech conference is supported by the Government of India and intends to bring together for the first time in the region over 1,200 experts from across the globe that include educators and teachers, education researchers, neuroscientists, edtech specialists, policy makers, learners, gaming experts, curriculum designers, social entrepreneurs, technology experts and futurists who can help build, share, enhance and deliver ‘Digital Pedagogies for peaceful and sustainable societies.’
Several Ministers of Education and Ministries of Education representatives, especially from the Asia Pacific region are expected to attend the conference.
TECH 2017 will be held in the largest city and financial capital of Andhra Pradesh, Visakhapatnam, often referred to as “The Jewel of the East Coast”
In an age of rapid change, characterized by exponential economic growth, globalization, and rising inequalities, the 21st century poses a unique set of challenges. To contend with these interconnected global issues, education systems will have to develop new and innovative approaches. This means that we need to work at all levels—from government policies to classroom teaching methods and informal learning—to empower young people to adapt to their changing environments and to lead socially responsible lives.
TECH 2017 will bring together experts, policy makers and learners in a unique setting in order to:
- Address the challenge of achieving equity, quality and accessibility in education at school or higher levels through technology
- Share best practices in digital pedagogies that are learner centric with improving learning outcomes in order that young people acquire the required skills to create just and peaceful societies
- Provide opportunity to the educators to build capacity, so that teachers can employ innovative technologies to deliver education that is transformative and promotes values of peace, global citizenship and sustainable development
- Enable young people to strengthen their skills as social innovators in education.
TECH 2017 will be based on the theme of “Digital Pedagogies for building peaceful and sustainable societies. In this, it will draw focus to the following:
- Building research based curricula that enhance Cognitive Learning: To interpret and understand the world through critical inquiry. By learning to ask questions, challenge beliefs and finding reasoned answers
- Socio Emotional skills: To build empathy and fire Gandhi neurons (neuroscience research says mirror neurons exist and says that we are built for empathy)
- Behavioural Transformation: compelling the compassionate learner to have the moral courage to act
- Support from governments: Transforming Education Conference for Humanity, Hyderabad (TECHH) is an International Education Technology conference organised by UNESCO MGIEP (Dec 2017) supported by Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India and Government of Telangana.
- Long term Commitment: Biennial Ed-tech conference spread over 10 years, long term engagement
- Policy Driven: Aims to work towards a normative UNESCO recommendation from member states to adopt specific research based edtech pedagogies in education systems
- Inclusive and Collaborative: Attracts 1,200 specialists, decision makers, policy makers, influencers, researchers, educators, curriculum designers, game designers, entrepreneurs and technology companies
- Pedagogy driven: Unique Ed tech Focus: digital pedagogies that help build empathy, compassion and sustainable development curricula
- Public-Private partnerships: Trade show with exhibitors showcasing cutting edge education technology
- Multi-sectoral: Policy makers, educators, students and school administrators in one place
- Innovation: Display of the best cases of innovation in education on the above themes
- Capacity Building: Training and workshop opportunities for practitioners