The TWAS – Samira Omar Innovation for Sustainability Prize recognizes scientists from the Least Developed Countries (LDCs), for scientific achievements in conservation and management of natural resources.
The 2017 TWAS – Samira Omar Innovation for Sustainability Prize will be awarded to a female scientist who has been living and working in an area relevant to sustainability, in a LDC for at least the two years immediately prior to her nomination.
Our planet, and therefore our existence, faces several challenges: world population, food security, climate change, biodiversity loss, water scarcity/poor sanitation, energy resources. Sustainability involves considering the relationship between the finite resources of the planet and the way of life adopted by humans: in what way can our existence be maintained and at what level?
Sustainability is at the forefront of many discussions at the international scene. The 17 Sustainable Development Goals released by the UN in 2015 as part of the 2030 Agenda underlie that we must become aware of the fact that we are compromising the future of generations to come. The SDGs may well represent the best attempt at addressing sustainability issues at a global scale.
The “Innovation for Sustainability” Prize will reward scientists for their contribution in an area, albeit multidisciplinary, directly relevant to the science of sustainability.
The 2017 prize will be awarded to a female scientist based on scientific achievements in conservation and management of natural resources rather than environmental advocacy.
How to nominate
Deadline: July 10, 2017
Important information for the nominator:
- Please complete this form electronically, save it in the format SURNAME_Initial.doc (e.g. SMITH_D.doc if the candidate’s name is David SMITH), and send it by 10 July 2017 to: email@example.com.
- Three documents must be attached to the e-mail message:
- This nomination form;
- The candidate’s curriculum vitae, including a full list of publications
- A supporting statement by the nominator
- Ask the nominee to send by email the following authorization to firstname.lastname@example.org: “In conformity with Article 13 of the Italian Legislative Decree 196/2003, I herewith authorize TWAS to process my personal data for the purposes of my nomination as a candidate for a TWAS Prize.”