The World Summit Award is a unique awards system, selecting and promoting local digital innovation with high impact on improving society. Combining an ongoing series of international events and activities with a global network of start-ups, social entrepreneurs, mentors, jurors, speakers, experts, government leaders, academia and civil society, WSA is an international platform for cut edge innovative approaches how ICTs can have an impact on society.
- Selection and promotion of cut edge digital innovation with local relevance, content depth and user value from all UN member states
- Contribute to the Agenda of UN WSIS and UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by showcasing creative use of digital innovation
- Fostering knowledge exchange, offering platforms of inspiration and enhancing a worldwide multi-stakeholder network
- Global visibility of WSA activities through national experts network, media partners and strategic cooperation
- Any company, organisation or individual from all UN and UNESCO member states are welcome to apply.
- The WSA Young Innovators Award is limited to projects initiated and executed by people under the age of 30 from any of the UN and UNESCO member states.
- WSA is strictly restricted to digital applications with a strong impact on society.
- Submissions for the WSA can contain mobile applications, sms based products, webpages, databases, kiosk installations, wearables, IoT etc. There is no limitation regarding the platforms or channels the projects work with.
- The projects can be maximal 2 years old at the date of nomination.
- No ideas, drafts, demonstrations or concepts are accepted, all submitted projects must be market ready or already on the market.
- WSA evaluates and highlights the content, user value and local impact of digital solutions.
- The World Summit Award (WSA) looks for digital applications that have a strong impact on society in one of the 8 WSA categories. WSA focusses on content depth, strategic value and local impact of a product.
- By submission of a project, producers accept the rules of the WSA contests as stated on this page.
- All submittiors to the WSA have to abide by the rules and regulations mentioned in the UN Declaration on Human Rights. Submissions therefore which encourage war, the exercise of violence, fraud, racism or discrimination will not be accepted and eliminated. Similarly, submissions that violate international copyright provisions will be excluded .
- WSA can not be held liable for accepted submissions and their contents and rights.
- GOVERNMENT & CITIZEN ENGAGEMENT: services | open data | democratic participation
- HEALTH & WELL BEING: medical care | sport | lifestyle
- LEARNING & EDUCATION: knowledge | science | skills The Learni
- ENVIRONMENT & GREEN ENERGY: climate | sustainable resources | agriculture
- CULTURE & TOURISM: heritage | entertainment | subcultures
- SMART SETTLEMENTS & URBANIZATION: mobility |productive work | sustainable living
- BUSINESS & COMMERCE: innovative services | security | finance | marketing
- INCLUSION & ENPOWERMENT: diversity | gender | justice | human rights
- WSA YOUNG INNOVATORS: youth taking action on the SDG’s | strictly for people under 30
Winners of the World Summit Awards benefit from:
- Invitation to the WSA World Congress including:
- Pitching seminars
- 7 minute pitch session in front of an international audience during the Congress
- A program of especially crafted workshops for the winners
- Invitation to the prestigious award ceremony and Gala night
- Board and lodging for the durance of the Congress
- Eye to eye exchange with speakers, jurors and international guests
- Integration into a network of internationally recognized digital content developers
- Access to the WSA community of global experts and industry leaders from over 178 countries
- Interaction with world-renowned sponsors and partners of the WSA community
- Workshops that will aid you in making your project in obtaining global recognition
- A video that highlights your project
- Special placement on WSA website, youtube channel and social media promotion
- Long-term coverage within all WSA editorial channels such as Blogs, Articles and Success Stories
A nomination for the World Summit Award is already a win – these are your rewards
- Recieve more coverage on your product
- The WSA provides nominees with press templates and helps them to gain the attention of national media with the support of our international team of high class media and ICT experts.
- Receive a World Summit Award nominee seal which you can use on your websites, your social media channels and your publications.
- Earn a chance to receive feedback from the Grand Jury.
- Being nominated for the World Summit Award means that your product is the best in the country in one of our 8 categories.
- Our experience has shown that this honor can immensely improve your outreach.
WHICH PROJECTS ARE SUITABLE FOR WSA?
- Submissions for the WSA can contain all mobile and web-based applications, such as: apps, webpages, applications for wearables, kiosk installations, sms based products, mobile games and interactive mobile productions. There is no limitation regarding the platforms or channels the projects work with.
- All submissions have to be launched products. No drafts, prototypes, demonstrations or unfinished projects can be accepted.
- All submitted products must have been completed after Jan. 1, 2015. For a project or product completed earlier, the submitters have to document those significant alterations and / or improvements and / or additions have been made in the period thereafter.
- A product can only be submitted for one category. In case of multiple submissions by the same organisation, company or team, each product requires a separate registration. Submissions which have been submitted in the WSA in previous years cannot be submitted again. For a project which has been already submitted before, the submitters have to document significant alterations and / or improvements and / or additions.
- Please be short and precise and make your digital project easy to understand. Avoid too long sentences and complicated technical terms.
- Please fill in your application soley in ENGLISH.
- Please make sure that the URL to your project/product and the e – mail you provided works!
- Please be aware that an international jury is evaluating your project. E.g. if your project cannot be downloaded from the playstore in some countries, please make sure that you give enough information, provide screenshots or a comprehensive presentation for the jurors.
- We advise to first do your application in a word document and then copy paste to the database for easier structuring.
- WSA tries to keep the application as short as possible, hence we advise to fill in all fields, even if they are not obligatory.
5 Technical Criteria
- CONTENT | Quality and comprehensiveness
- FUNCTIONALITY | Ease of use, user experience, appropriate interactivity
- DESIGN | Navigation / orientation and visual appeal
- TECHNOLOGY | State of the art in technology and quality of technical realisation
- INNOVATION | Originality and newness to targeted users, Business model society and market
2 Strategic Criteria
- IMPACT | Local Impact / Impact on society
- GLOBAL / UN VALUE
The WSA award year has several focal points. Please find below this year’s timeline to get an overview of what will happen when.
- April 1st, 2017: WSA Call open – please get in touch with WSA office to be introduced to your national Expert or read more on participation here.
- June 15th, 2017: WSA Call closes – all producers have two more weeks to finish thei application in the WSA database
- July 1st, 2017 – August 15th: WSA Online Jury processes all submitted products to select the shortlist.
- August 30th, 2017: Announcement of WSA Shortlist
- September 2017: WSA Grand Jury evaluates WSA Shortlist to select final Winners.
- Oktober 2017: Announcement of WSA Winners 2017
- March 20th -22nd, 2018: WSA Winners will be presented and awarded at the WSA Global Congress Vienna 2018
How to apply
Deadline: June 15, 2017
WSA is a nomination based award system. To apply you need to be nominated by either a WSA National Expert as best national digital application in one of the 8 categories. Each country can only nominate one project/solution per category. Nominations to the international WSA are possible through national contests and national expert panel selection.
Please read the section below carefully.
HOW TO APPLY
To find out who your WSA National Expert is, please click here. WSA office will be happy to introduce you to your WSA National Expert . Once you have contacted your expert, they will go through the steps you will need to take in order to qualify for national selection with you.
Some countries also offer application through a national contest.
Your project will be reviewed and evaluated if it meets the eligibility criteria and standards of WSA. If your project is chosen to be nominated in one of the WSA categories, your WSA National Expert will enter your data in the WSA online Contest Database. Please make sure your WSA National Expert has the right contact data.
Upon nomination, you will receive a confirmation email inviting you to complete your application. Please make sure to check your spamfolder. After submitting your application you are officially enrolled in the global WSA. An especially assembled international Jury will then evaluated all nominated and completed projects and choose the 40 WSA winners and WSA Young Innovators per year.